Congressman Peter Roskam

Representing the 6th District of Illinois

Tax Season Is Approaching - Do You Know About These Free Tax Filing Programs?

In less than two months, American taxpayers will have to file their tax returns. For many, it is a time-consuming, confusing and burdensome experience. Fortunately, there are free assistance and tax preparation programs to help make filing simpler and less complex. Here are some resources and tips that you should know about before April 15th.

The IRS Free File Program provides taxpayers who make $58,000 or less – almost 100 million taxpayers – free access to tax preparation software like TurboTax and HR Block. Filing tax returns electronically is the fastest and safest way to get a refund.

To learn more about the Free File program and to get started, click here.

Congressman Roskam introduced legislation to make the Free File program permanent. Find out more about his legislation here.

The VITA program gives free tax return preparation help through certified volunteers to taxpayers making $52,000 or less. These volunteers can inform individuals and families about special tax credits that they may be qualified for.

To find the nearest VITA site, please click here or call 1-800-906-9887.

For taxpayers who are 60 years of age or older, the TCE program, partnered with AARP, provides certified volunteers to provide counseling and tax preparation assistance. These preparers specialize in questions about pensions and retirement issues.

To locate the nearest TCE site or AARP Tax-Aide site, click here or call 1-888-227-7669.

Other Helpful Resources

Do you have all the necessary documents to accurately file a return? Click here to see a full list.

Every year, the tax code is updated or changed. Click here to see what the most recent changes are that could impact you.


  • For information on the Free File Program, click here.
  • For information on the Earned Income Tax Credit, click here.
  • For information on Education Tax Credits, click here.

For all your tax return questions and concerns, you can also call 1-800-TAX-FORM.